Saturday, November 26, 2011

"I shop therefore I am" (Post 12)


There needs to be a movement from consumerism to sustainability. You cannot link the two in my brain and create sustainable consumerism. Unless you want to make yourself feel better by justifying buying way more then one person needs because you used a "re-usable" shopping bag.  The phenomenon is a term of justification and of capitalism. Because we are now connected to every corner of the world (which has no corners) the human race is able (with the right amount of money) to buy or own just about anything from anywhere. Driving the term sustainable into the market of consumerism is like putting a square peg in a round hole. It won't work too well. But the term is doing a great job with the greenwashing our society is working so hard to achieve. With this new concept of buy whatever you want just make sure its with a green logo, our brains and thoughts are now paying more to help our environment. Paying more for organic, local or fair trade when you are over consuming isn't going to help our environment. If you are sustainable in your purchases without over-consuming then using such products will. Point in case? Don't consume more then you need. In anything.

My moral beliefs from greenwashing have made me think twice when buying. When it comes to organic or local, I will skip the premium prices of organic and pay a less amount at local markets. There will always be "things" on my fruits and veggies that I probably wouldn't want there, so as a general rule of thumb, I rather help out the local economy and farmers then Publix. And I never go out of my way to purchase fair trade, but if it happens I always feel better about myself.

Lets be honest, even with the greenwashing and the hope to become sustainable, sometimes its easier to go to Gulf Coast Town Center and patronize chain stores because you know they will have what you are needing and usually on sale. Mom and pop stores have more of a history and story that I love! but when I need a pair of jeans or fabric I will be more likely to shop at JoAnne's and Target. My ramifications for my actions are probably too small on their own to make a significant difference in our environment. Combined with the rest of SWFL actions, it has ramifications for what is happening in our economy and the structure of Downtown Fort Myers. Because I shop at chain stores instead of independent stores, downtown is lacking in economic flow. My actions of shopping local farmers market is making a difference in that economy as well.

Until next time,
Annie

No comments:

Post a Comment