Sunday, December 4, 2011

Field trip down by the Estero River. (Post 13)



Estero Island Cottage and Matanzas Pass was a beautiful experience. Jo, our 80 year old historian was the most precious lady I have met in Fort Myers.  I found it interesting that this land was preserved land for awhile that no one really took care of. Today it was really stunning. There were so many sights, sounds, and experiences that stood out to me.. here are a few pictures of them.

I truly enjoyed my time there. There are many ways the local quality of life is being enhanced down by the beach in this area. For one, the elementary school next door is the smallest school in Lee County. Instead of going to the school board for help, the school will call on the beach district when they need supplies.  There is a sense of community that could be from the nature that still exists there.  The keep this land in good keeping which also helps the quality of life.

My hometown has really not changed a lot. When I was very young, there was a mall built over wetlands. To be able to do this, the company had to create man made wetlands in another area of our hometown.  This is probably the biggest change my city has seen. Because my hometown is smaller, there is a sense of community. There are local markets where most residents will buy from. Unless you have recently moved into Midland, you would probably not know of the good markets and shop at Wal-Mart or (my favorite) Meijer. There are only two high schools in my hometown and depending on which one you go to, that is where your community is. High school is the holding spot for functions, events, and unity. 

I grew up in a townhouse, so the question "if a developer offered 300% of the market value of my childhood home to turn into condos" doesn't make much sense. It is already "condos" But, for the sake of this question, I no longer live there so I really couldn't care less if it was developed or not. Maybe if I grew up on a farm or with a large backyard I would have some hesitance towards the contractor, but I didn't so I don't. 

Just as well, I would probably side with the 20/20 just as easily as the condos. 10% was the amount back in 1994 of land being preserved in SWFL. Actually, I live in condos where there is preserved wetlands throughout the community. Kept away from the public by wood fences, these areas are probably preserved by conservation 20/20.  I support the 20/20 program and its efforts, allowing me to feel okay with only taking 80% of the market value. 

Until next time,
Annie

No comments:

Post a Comment