Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Look, I'm bigfoot (Post 10)

According to the ecofootprint website, I am a bigfoot. If everyone lived like me, we would need 4.9 planet Earths to provide enough resources.. (ouch). The highest percentage of my energy source comes from services. Now being reasonable, I could change my shopping behavior (when it comes to clothes, shoes, not buying local) to help modify my footprint. The second highest percentage was my mobility. Unfortunately  driving to FGCU twice a week along with work 4 times a week and then the added times when I run errands, go to church, go out with friends really adds up. (The occasional flight to Washington D.C. or Michigan). I can't really seeing my mobility percentage changing until maybe I graduate and no longer have to drive out to campus.  I don't plan to stop flying to see family or driving out to Lehigh to visit my boyfriend. Sorry folks. My shelter was at a low 8% so maybe I can just make up for it there and say we are even.

I take up 21.8 global acres of earth's productive area (Fatty?) and I use 24.5 tons of Carbon Dioxide...(oh boy.) What is most crazy about my findings is I see myself as a more conservative American. I can't even imagine what the ecofootprint of the rich and elite looks like. Or for that matter, Al Gore. Thankfully we don't all live like that.

If everyone in the world lived LESS then my 4.9 needed Earths, and the ecofootprint was 4.6 earths, then there still would not be enough room for the just hit 7 billion population mark. Take a look for yourself....see link below.

View this video on the 7 billion population mark


With the world's new population I wonder what will have to change to be able to support everyone. For example, can the earth handle even America's ecofootprint? What if the developing countries become more develop and look to our lifestyle as the one they want to represent. Could Earth support two American ecofootprints? The answer is, we only have one planet earth, not 4.9 not even 2. We need to start living in our reality. 

No comments:

Post a Comment