Wednesday, November 2, 2011

I need ENERGY! (Post 9)

When it comes to the cost of energy, I think the glory of it is how cheap it is. I strongly, strongly, believe in my family's life motto, "If it's free it's for me!" Therefore, nothing is ever too cheap. (I know economically the whole supply and demand thing would be shattered, and the value of everything would be deteriorated.. but I still love when it's free.) Because energy is so cheap I feel our society has a hard time grasping the idea to conserve it.  The ones who pay for energy are more likely to conserve it.  For example, I currently live in a pool house that is owned by a family I know at church.  My water and electric as bundled in a once a month rent check that is shockingly low.  My reason to "conserve" energy is only because I don't want to be a bigger burden on them financially.  Even at this, if I forget to turn off the air I am only disappointed because of the amount of money I wasted for them. Conservation therefore isn't necessarily a "dirty" word, it is just understood and assosicated with saving money.  Saving money to our society is much more important then saving the environment.  I believe this could be one reason why "Jimmy Cardigan's" talks did not encourage the public opinion as he had hoped.
Jimmy "Cardigan" Carter, resembles Mr. Rogers...Doesn't he?
Jimmy Cardigan was Jimmy Carter's "alterego" to say, who would come on national television as like he was F.D. Roosevelt giving his "Fireside Chats".  The only difference was America needed those fireside chats, whereas in Carter's position, Americans did not listen to his obvious advice on conservation.  Here in the blog we of course turn to is energy another government conspiracy.

Alternative energy sources are pushed by our government. If you haven't already caught on by reading my other blogs, I am a skeptic when it comes to big government. I however, have conflicting feelings on this topic because I also know we are wasting a lot of energy.  Could energy sources renewables be the government's heartfelt attempt to truly and genuinely help the environment without having outside motives?!? HA! I could only wish, but my view of our government is so depleted that everything I see it doing has corruption not far behind. Regardless of the government's push to make us "free marketeers" I still believe it is best to move away from fossil fuels, not for money, or for the government, but to help the  environment which will increase humanity.

When it comes to renewable resources, I think they all are good. Anyone you use has its pros and cons so please just pick one and steer away from fossil fuels. My favorite is biofuels. The idea of using trash to produce energy is pretty awesome. We are not only finding an outside source for energy, but we are also taking away waste that creates environment problems. Double Whammy!
Yes, it might smell like McDonalds on the side of the road, but with all the technology we have, I have a hard time believing we couldn't fix that problem as well. Take the nasty stuff from fast food places that we don't want, and they don't want and make it into something valuable. How beautiful. (Now of course, big oil and America would never go for this....but in my world where the government cares about humanity more then money it does.)

Now I can spit out advice pretty easily, but what am I going to do tomorrow and within the next five years to lower my energy footprint. Well, tomorrow is easy because I already live in a tiny "cabana" that does not suck up as much energy as anyone living in a house or even apartment. I only own a mini fridge and single computer.. no tv, no radio, no freezer even that will suck up energy. I live considerably close to a grocery store, starbucks, book store, ext and when I go to those places for small items I will ride my bike.  I would say I am considerably doing better then most Americans, however, I do forget to turn off a light here and there, and I use my A/C along with never turning off my computer.  Those are what I can work on. As in the next 5 years, I can see my footprint become larger, not any smaller. I would imagine in 5 years (hopefully) I would have a home and a t.v. I may not be able to ride my bike anywhere and I could even have kids and those are big time energy suckers. Maybe in 5 years I will own a electric car....(ha,ha) then that can be my solution :)

Until next time,
Annie

No comments:

Post a Comment