Thursday, October 20, 2011

"You might as well be walking on the Sun" (Post 8)

Oh how Al Gore has messed with our pretty little minds. Climate change is a hot topic issue for Americans for a reason I can't seem to fully grasp. (At least not enough to jump on the bandwagon.)  In my humble opinion, climate change is a mixture between natural and anthropogenic. I am certain humans have caused enough damage to our atmosphere to alter the climate, just as well I am certain natural occurrences create a climate change.

I am a very young skeptical girl who disregards most information tossed at me until I find and test the resource myself.  This being so, reputable sources for climate change information are few and far between.  There is evidence of the rising temperature, yes. And I will acknowledge the problems we are facing. I will not however, acknowledge rants and rages people go on about the climate issue.  The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) have a National Climatic Data Center that provides facts and not opinion. This is a reputable source for climate change.

The problem with climate change isn't really a problem about climate change but rather, in my book, its a problem with the media on climate change.  Movies such as: The Day After Tomorrow, WALL-E, Avatar, and  Happy Feet gives these radical notions and examples of how the environment and climate change will destroy all of us. Now, let me be clear to say that I think we do a poor job taking care of our environment and that when it comes to sustainability, we are doomed. But, the media is sneaky because it is viewed by millions who believe anything, anyone says.  In general the media, including movies, documentaries, television news, newspaper, books, etc. by large portray an act of emergency on climate change.  Because the issue is over-debated and over-glorified it has been tossed into my "over-rated" dropbox in my brain.

Even before the hype of climate change, I have been recycling, turning off lights/water, conserving personally energy when possible, and re-purposing items. The media nor the scare has pressured me to change my lifestyle, this is my lifestyle. I personally prefer riding my back to target and I love being creative and re-purposing wood from an old chair into a new picture frame. Will that save the climate? No, but I enjoy it so I will continue living this way.  Now, if I do decide to raise children in this horribly corrupted world we live in, I do not think the climate will be their biggest worry.  Not even their children's worry. Maybe I partially believe this because I'm predicting bigger natural disasters will be their worries or the war on oil will erupt in our time or theirs. Either way, we have much bigger issues besides the "climate change".

Until next time,
Annie

No comments:

Post a Comment